Understanding Food Allergies: Administrator Edition
Strategies to help Prevent & Manage Food Allergies in the Preschool Environment
This course discusses strategies to prevent and manage food allergy reactions in the preschool environment.
Learning objectives include:
- Understand what a food allergy is and how the body reacts
- Discuss who is impacted by food allergies
- Identify the main food allergens causing reactions in the U.S. and where to find them.
- Identify food allergens in non-food items and discuss alternative solutions
- Create a food safety plan to prevent food allergy reactions in preschool settings
- Develop a response plan in the event of a food allergy reaction in preschool settings
- Steps in the development of a Food Allergy Management Prevention Plan (FAMPP)
- Cover the laws associated with allergies in schools
This course offers 2 clock hour towards yearly professional development requirements. A certificate of completion will be provided following the conclusion of the course and a brief assessment
Dr. Jessica Barnes received her PhD in nutrition from Texas Woman's University. Her research focused on food preference development and creating materials to help preschoolers become familiar with healthy foods. She has worked with families and communities as a clinical and community Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.